View Single Post
Old February 12 2012, 08:30 PM   #422
tomswift2002
Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

I was watching both the DVD and Blu-Ray at the same time for all three episodes and the problem was at the same amount for all three episodes. But it would be nice if CBS just did a widescreen version or just used the entire negative with no cropping (it's not like this would be the first time in Trek history where people saw revealing moments after the original release).

But, on another board I noticed someone asking whether the 7.1 audio is a 5.1 matrixed. I don't think that occurred since the 5.1 seems to have been matrixed from the 2.0 stereo master and some of the audio seems a little muddied and distorted when compared to the 7.1 audio. Of course I was listening to the sound track on a surround system that only outputs Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 (with the ability to matrix a 6th rear center channel) and PCM 2.0, but the Blu-Ray audio still sounded crisper and more separated than the ZDVD audio. So I think CBS most likely did a proper 7.1 mix.

RAMA wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
If you watch Farpoint, when Picard, Troi and Riker are in Zorn's office, if you look at Troi's headband, in every close up shot on the Blu-Ray her headband goes into the top casing of the TV, but on the DVD there is quite a bit of open space between the top of her head and the TV casing.
You're right, the framing is slightly different there. But in this case I'm okay with it because they are just framing down slightly, rather than cropping the entire image on all sides. Notice how we see more of her com badge as a result? As long as they take their new TV extraction from within the Academy aperture area, the picture should still look okay and be within the tolerances that the filmmakers intended.

DVD:
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...point2_039.jpg

Blu-ray:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_537.jpg
Funny that I didn't notice this. Possibly because there was MORE picture in the first episode on the disc, and never bothered to check the others..
tomswift2002 is online now   Reply With Quote