View Single Post
Old February 12 2012, 08:04 AM   #934
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Damnit, I forgot the symbol.
I thought we had all agreed not to use this "" stuff anymore. My Midwestern American sensibilities, remember?

But what I really love about this episode is how an episode about an attempt on Garak's life could have turned out rather pedestrian, but that didn't happen. It could have been a simple case of the Obsidian Order attempting to kill Garak for whatever crime he commited in order to be exiled, or it could have been about a hate crime commited by a Bajoran terrorist. But no, these characters demand a better story than that, so we get numerous twists that build up to a final revelation of galactic significance.
Agreed. That is something that DS9 often does and does well - taking something that at first appearance will be rather mundane and turning it into something big and important (The Jem'Hadar being another example).

Take the scene where Odo meets his Cardassian informant, on paper it could have been a boring expository scene designed to move the plot along in the old Star Trek cave set, but the way it's framed, the use of lighting, the ominous music, all these things add up to create a truly memorable scene. It doesn't matter that the Cardassian informant is little more than a plot device because it's written and directed so well.
Agreed again. I've absolutely loved that scene since I first saw it during DS9's original run here in the U.S. In some senses, it reminds me of the end of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. That movie's climax is literally just three guys staring at each for five straight minutes while not saying a single word, and it's literally one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life.

How the hell did Sergio Leone manage that?! Framing, lighting and music, that's how. Avery Brooks had obviously learned from a master when sat in the director's chair this time.