View Single Post
Old February 11 2012, 11:17 PM   #923
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
[ I love the brilliant dialogue, especially during the classic "Boy Who Cried Wolf" scene. ("Clever Lad! Charming story." )
I agree; the scene's an absolute classic. My sister agrees, too; it's one of our shared favourites.

There's also this exchange, which you did mention in your post but is worth pasting in:

"Or am I wrong? Tell me, is there one person in this universe that you care about? One person that is more to you than just an interesting puzzle to be solved. Is there, Odo... anyone?"

"If there were, I certainly wouldn't tell you..."

"And that... would be a wise decision."

It's good to have reminders that Garak's not a nice person, lest we stop loving him for the reasons we do and start loving him out of the mistaken belief that he's our friend.
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Also, while not expressly said in this episode, or the series as a whole, the short scene where Garak talks to Mila does give the impression that she's his mother, or at least a very close bond between them.
Interestingly enough, when I watched this episode with my mother (who sometimes sits through my sci-fi DVDs when she has nothing better to do), she immediately decided that Mila was Garak's mother. The way the two actors were playing it led her to make it a statement; "she's his mother". So I've always wondered if that was indeed the actors' intention (at least Robinson's), if not the writers.