View Single Post
Old February 10 2012, 01:33 AM   #23
Forever Your Ghoul
Vice Admiral
Re: Engineering's curved hallways

jayrath wrote: View Post
We're talking about a five year mission, not "months."
But we assume no member of the crew was confined to the ship for the entire 5 years.

Or are you suggesting that contemporary submarines not be tubes, but long blocks -- something like a massive 2x4, underwater? By your reasoning, that is the most "practical" design.
Read my post again. Of course a submarine has to have a hydrodynamic shape. The Enterprise’s engineering hull is roughly cylindrical because it looks cool. I was talking about making the most efficient use of available space.

Captain Tracy wrote: View Post
TIP: You can always, by-in-large, tell the authenticity of a CAPTAIN TRACY post; as they, on-the-whole, will employ a high degree of accuracy with regard to: content, style, and punctuation - not to mention: wit, wisdom, and general 'snarkiness'.
The phrase is “by and large.”

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
While I agree that the curves corridors were meant to indicate locations in the primary hull, I would hesitate to say the ship was designed to show space was at a premium.

The corridors were pretty wide and tall. Not unlike a hotel or apartment building. No ducking your head or turning sideways to pass.
They had to be roomy enough to accomodate a camera dolly, microphone boom, trailing cables and filming crew. No Steadicams in those days.
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Forever Your Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote