View Single Post
Old February 5 2012, 08:19 AM   #963
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

syberghost wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Game is fun enough, but they really need to get their act together technically. Servers were also slammed when I logged in earlier, had queues to get in, etc. They had better put more resources online before the FEs start back up next weekend, or they are going to lose a lot of new F2P players that are turned off by this...
It's happening because they increased the population caps to keep the new players from being shut out by login queues. They're working on stability fixes and further increases. It's a balancing act; there were queues this afternoon, despite the fact the game currently has a higher player cap than it's ever had in its history.

There were also plenty of people in the office working today on those fixes. If this was easy everybody'd be doing it.
Every single MMO I have played with has had teething issues when faced with a sudden and larger than anticipated increase in the number of players. This isn't something that can simply be solved by just adding more servers and hardware, although having more hardware does help alleviate some of the issues a little.

Syberghost, I'm assuming you either work for Cryptic or know people who do? If so please feedback to them that as a long time supporter of Cryptic (since day 1 City of Heroes), I'm happy enough with STO and am seriously considering a lifetime subscription. Job well done.