View Single Post
Old February 4 2012, 08:05 PM   #39
Vice Admiral
Re: Doctor Who, first time through

The Lensman wrote: View Post
Finished "Keys Of Marinus".....tomorrow "The Aztecs" begins.

One thing that has changed, is my opinion of Susan. As I was building my Doctor Who collection, I was buying from different eras and watching them non-sequentially. And I had no real issues with Susan, I really liked her since she was the Doctors grand daughter. However watching them in order, Susan really grates on me. Not the actress, the portrayal.

It's the constant freak outs and near break downs that get on my nerves. I can understand being frightened but she freaks out and too often has to be held by another character. I always liked Vickie, and now I realize she's closer to how Susan *should've* been portrayed. She was smart, and came off as someone beyond our time. Sure, the occasional screamy stuff....but no where near the freak outs that Susan has.

IIRC, wasn't this the reason that Carol Ann Ford left?
The Aztecs is my Favorite Historical, and one of my Favorite of all the Hartnell Stories, I hope you enjoy it.

Regarding Susan, yea, her problem was that she was written as a 10 or 12 year old, and Carole Anne Ford didn't look a day under 16, and could've played up to 25 convincingly. This is one thing the Cushing Movies fixed, they actually had Susan played by an appropriately aged actress.. Additionally, being a Time Traveler, who had obviously travelled with the Doctor, prior to settling down in 1963 on (Since Earth 1960s was her favorite place, she must have other adventures to compare it to) Susan should've been better acclimated, and not such a mess, even the most scared Companions grow and become more acclimated over time. Susan is fine in the Doctor Who Unbound Audios and in the Five Doctors (And in her last story, when she all of a sudden grew up), the problem was with writing her as a 10 or 12 year most of the time, but, being played by Carole Anne Ford, IMHO.
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote