View Single Post
Old February 4 2012, 04:39 PM   #840
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

I thought this one might spark a debate alright.

DonIago wrote: View Post
Additionally, if you think the Federation should do something about it, what would you have them do? Simply say, "Oh that's wrong!" and move on?
Yeah, pretty much. What's wrong with that? When politicians, celebrities, and everyday people in western societies spoke out against apartheid, were they wrong to do that? When apartheid fell, should we have felt ashamed that pressure from western society played a role in the destruction of a keystone of white South African culture? Well, we didn't, we patted ourselves on the back for a job well done then went back to watching crappy American TV shows.

I'd like to think that we could do the same thing today to help end the discrimination against women in places like Saudi Arabia, but our love of oil prevents that and I'm not selfless enough to risk the ability to buy cheap things for the sake of people I've never met. But if I ever met a man who tried to treat a woman like that in front of me I'm not going to give him a pass because of his culture.

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
I understand that the Ferengi as a culture are very annoying, but itsn't that the point here?
Annoying is repeatedly playing the same song on a bagpipe for three hours. Calling someone dumb to their face because they have the temerity to have a vagina was downright offensive.