View Single Post
Old February 2 2012, 01:48 AM   #26
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey 2x01

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
Pretty girls in proper clothes make for a decent series.

Actually, I don't really watch it regularly, but what I have seen is OK. Maggie Smith is good in it. Mind you, I don't think it's a patch on Upstairs, Downstairs. I really enjoyed its original ITV production, and the BBC mini-series updating of it a couple of Christmases ago. I think it's coming back for a full series later this year. Looking forward to that.
I thought they packed too much onto the Christmas episodes of upstairs downstairs.
The next series of upstairs downstairs starts February 19th, but because of Jean Marsh's stroke I've heard she is missing from a few eps.http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...y-heidi-thomas
That's true, a lot did happen. I figured it was simply because they wanted to cram lots of action into the mini-series, in order to better attract a full series order. Hopefully now they have that, it will be paced/structured in a somewhat calmer fashion. In particular, with these types of show, you need to build up some emotional engagement with the characters before you throw them into dire circumstances. The Xmas episodes rushed that process too much so lacked some impact.

I didn't realise it was starting so soon! Thanks for the heads-up! Something to look forward to on the telly.

Shame about Jean Marsh. Her performance was the best thing about the Xmas run, esp. in the first episode.

Kestra wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
Pretty girls in proper clothes make for a decent series.

Actually, I don't really watch it regularly, but what I have seen is OK. Maggie Smith is good in it. Mind you, I don't think it's a patch on Upstairs, Downstairs. I really enjoyed its original ITV production, and the BBC mini-series updating of it a couple of Christmases ago. I think it's coming back for a full series later this year. Looking forward to that.
I've been considering watching that but I have no idea if it's good or I'd like it. I only started watching Downton Abbey awhile ago when I found it on Netflix. I had never heard of it before, and suddenly it seems hugely popular, even here!
If you like Downton, chances are you'll like Upstairs, Downstairs. The 70s original series is now looks very old & creaky, but I think it still holds up in terms of the stories. Another old period series that I think Downton fans would like would be The Forsyte Saga although I should warn you it's filmed in B&W. Back in the land of colour TV is The Onedin Line. More recently (from 90s) but in the same general vein of soapy period drama, there's The House of Elliot, which I think is a woefully underrated series.

I believe the formula for a British series cracking the USA is:

(prettiness of the cast x how many years ago it is set x number of corsets in any given episode)/(number of indecipherable regional dialects)

Last edited by Holdfast; February 2 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote