View Single Post
Old February 1 2012, 10:19 PM   #126
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Flake wrote: View Post
I much prefer the old way of doing things (Matte Paintings, Models) to CGI everything of today, its all held up so well in the transition to HD whereas CGI done 10 years later will stay SD forever and look worse.
CGI from 10 years ago would look about the same in non-HD, from 15 years, ago not too bad. Jurassic Park still holds up at almost 19 years, and Voyager's first CGI had 6 times the detail of those dinosaurs in 1995, just two years later. Also, it wouldn't be SD forever, since they could re-do it. In particular, CGI mattes are usually way above the quality of most 2D matte paintings.

Once CGI reaches a certain level or rez that matches what we watch today and what it was designed for, it'll look no different than models. We're practically there now anyway...Hobbit and Avatar 2 will be shot in 4k and 64fps, you'll never have to tinker with the FX. Look at low or medium budget physical model work from the 90s and 80s, they look pretty bad too, they could use makeovers...George Lucas even realized this with his work. So this idea that models and paintings are inherently superior is silly.

DostoyevskyClone wrote: View Post
trekfan_1 wrote: View Post
I've had to tinker with my TV's settings as it actually looks too bright.
I thought this when watching early scenes from "Sins of the Father." I wondered if I had just become accustomed to the different lighting of EaF...
It is bright, but I've always had a preference for a dark and contrasty picture...always adjusted tint so the old SD STNG looked like red unis rather than the pink...I was just so used to it I forgot they didn't look red! Its pretty easy to adjust with a few button pushes.

RAMA