View Single Post
Old February 1 2012, 08:41 AM   #80
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
"Oh no, number one, I'm sure most of them will be much more interesting."

Well ... yeah.

I only was only able to watch Farpoint tonight but I was really impressed. The episode was better than I'd remembered it. Perhaps the leap to HD made it more watchable, or something. I'm not sure. I think it did a pretty good job on establishing the characters (especially Riker and Picard). Troi figured pretty prominently but it was weird seeing her here because she was changed quite a bit later. I think the key was to have her report emotions, not live them out, which they eventually figured out (and her clinical nature later figured into the best Troi episode "The Loss" in later seasons but I digress). This is certainly the best this episode has ever looked by a wide margin. Great start.

Some more thoughts ... I loved, loved, LOVED seeing the Enterprise-D in HD. The space shots made me giddy. It was neat hearing the Ferengi name-dropped so early in the series, which I'd forgotten about. The battle bridge is a cool set and it's a shame we didn't see more of it on the series because it looks great here. Colm Meany is in the background of this episode quite a bit which made me nostalgic for DS9. He's just "all business", even here in what is more or less a cameo.
One thing I noticed over the years, the pacing of the episode was generally more brisk than I originally remembered it, and made the episode more watchable in repeat viewings.

RAMA