Old January 31 2012, 05:12 PM   #174
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

1. My Week With Marilyn (B-)
2. Fantasia 2000 (B+)
3. Blade Runner (B)
4. The Hidden Fortress (A-)
5. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (B+)
6. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (A+)
7. The Descendants (A-)
8. Monsieur Lazhar (A)
9. The Prestige (A+)

I was going to call this the black sheep of Christopher Nolan's post-Memento work, but then I remembered that Insomnia is really a better fit for that designation. But of the four (soon to be five) films he's made after Insomnia, this is the only one that avoided becoming a cultural touchstone. And it's not for a lack of merit, because on rewatching this for the first time since its release in 2006 I would say it's easily in a class above The Dark Knight and Inception, the two insanely popular hits that came after it (and both very strong films in their own right). As with many instances of rewatching a film that hinges heavily on a twist, the hints seem very obvious the second time around, but it still holds up wonderfully, and it gives you a much deeper appreciation of what was really going on with the Alfred Borden character. Nolan vividly conjures a sense of existential dread. Though I do wonder why Tesla and Angier seemed not to realize that they had stumbled onto the greatest invention in human history since the wheel.

Cinema: 4
Home Video: 5
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote