Of these seven episodes (A Simple Investigation, Profit and Loss, Counterpoint, Lessons, In Theory, Rejoined
) I'm noticing a theme - the "good" ones tend to involve either a relationship that already has history or one that doesn't really end in "love."
Profit and Loss
- Quark and Natima have history.
- Dax and Kahn have history.
- Janeway and Kashyk don't actually care for each other.
- Data isn't in love, he's just experimenting.
- Picard and Daren fall in love immediately.
- The Doctor and Denara fall in love immediately.
A Simple Investigation
is the only one that bucks this trend. Odo and Arrisa have no history yet the episode still somehow manages to rise above it and be good.