View Single Post
Old January 31 2012, 06:19 AM   #806
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Does It Get Better???

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
While we're talking about rank, it drove me nuts that in 7 years of Deep Space Nine, Bashir never got promoted to Lt. Cmdr. Nearly every other doctor we'd ever seen in Starfleet was at least a Lt. Cmdr (both Crusher and Pulaski were full Commanders), and he was supposed to be wicked smart.
Good observation! I'm betting the writers just never thought about it.
I think Bashir might have lost any promotion he got upon his revelation that he was a fraud.

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Also, thanks everyone for the info on Kim.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me though. I figured being a "senior" officer meant that you'd had a lot of experience in the field and you were qualified for a position of some authority. It doesn't make much sense to me for an ensign to be made a senior officer right out of the academy. Especially someone as incompetent as Kim...or maybe I'm just biased against him because the actor can't act...
I remember reading that originally the concept for Harry was that he was supposed to be a prodigy and naturally gifted when it came to engineering but due to his lack of field experience he only ranked as a Ensign. So he has a senior officer position due to him being supposedly brilliant.