View Single Post
Old January 31 2012, 02:52 AM   #71
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: 2012 Academy Award Nominations

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Even bigger surprise is TinTin got snubbed despite winning some other awards. Another nail in the coffin for photo-real CG in movies?

Yeah, it's a shame Tintin didn't get nominated. But it's due to a rule where the Academy deemed motion-captured rules to not be real animation. It's all because Pixar complained that motion-captured movies were being nominated when Cars wasn't and should have won by critical acclaim. I can see where they were coming from, perhaps feeling like the motion-captured movies were encroaching on their territory, but that should only mean they should work harder to make great movies. They shouldn't be at a point where they win by default. Tintin was a real piece of art, but it gets excluded due to an exclusionary rule. In my mind, it's all animation; they're just different tools, different means to an end result, and I think it's quite unfair to the people who've worked very hard making movies like Tintin. Because of that rule, you get the other extreme end where some other animated movies that aren't particularly noteworthy make the list, like Puss'n'Boots and Kung-Fu Panda 2, with movies that deserve attention like Tintin getting shut out. Strikes me as somewhat elitist. I think the Academy should find a middle-ground, so that both types of animation are recognized. I don't see motion-captured movies going away anytime soon. I only see it getting more popular as time goes on and as things get more complicated. I think motion-capture as a valid form of animation is quite understated when done well.

The rule is explained here:

http://www.digitalacting.com/2010/07...ion-technique/

Also, could have sworn Rango came out two years ago, but I guess my mind is playing tricks on me.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; January 31 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote