View Single Post
Old January 29 2012, 05:54 AM   #162
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

I thought In Darkness was an excellent film as well; unlike the best picture list, the foreign films are quite strong this year.

18. Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy (B-)

Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy: Much slower than I had expected; in the first 40 minutes it was absolutely plodding in its pace. Thankfully, the film picks up from there, and starts to fill in the blanks about the various old, white, and British men who populate the film (women are so unimportant that the wife of Gary Oldman's character never even shows her face, or speaks a line of dialogue). Despite the older actors receiving prominent billing, outside of Gary Oldman, the movie really belongs to Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy.

Besides the pacing, I think the film's only stumbling block is the casting of Colin Firth. He plays such a small role that the eventual reveal seems more and more inevitable, given his stature.

I'd like to see the miniseries version at some point. Roy Bland, played by Ciarán Hinds, gets rather little to do in this version, which I assume is the result of paring down the story to feature film length.

Theatres: 7 +1
Home Video: 10
Computer: 1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote