View Single Post
Old January 28 2012, 07:38 AM   #221
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Re: Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
The "realism" movement is nothing but rhetorical cover for cynics and others who despise seeing man viewed through the lens of a higher nature and calling and who prefer to think of man as "just another animal".

We have too much of that kind of thinking today.
I don't see it that way, not at all, and would agree that too much of such thinking is on the loose.

Nonetheless, it is hard to take seriously a story about post apocalypse survival when the characters are written as cartoons. Now, do I think that Singer's BSG will be written a bit more optimistically? Yes. Should it be? Again, yes, in my view.

Is that the only way to tell such a story? No, and I'm VERY much glad that RDM's BSG did. And no, I don't think even those writers had "Man as just another animal" approach to it. It is quite clear in most holy books as well as history itself, that man is quite capable of being a sunovabitch. And our fiction doesn't have to be a pollyanna view of people. When you are writing about a disaster, such writing can have a cognitive dissonance to it.

And not a good kind.