View Single Post
Old January 26 2012, 01:28 AM   #769
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Is this game mostly a single player game? One of the main complaints about SWTOR is how it's really a "co-op SP game." But this seems even more so. From my standpoint, though, that's probably a good thing. I abhor PUGing, and I don't think I'll be playing frequently enough to maintain a strong friend-base--other than TBBSers, of course.
Cryptic's philosophy is somewhat different (and imho better) than most other MMO companies. All their games are designed to be both soloable and groupable by friends and they frown on pugs. As a single player, you can complete roughly 90% of the missions by yourself. However once you hit the mid and high levels, there will be more than a few important story-arc finale missions with cool rewards where a single player will simply die repeatedly and a group will fare a much better.

Moreover, all Cryptic games have this thing called level scaling so even if you are level 1 you can group with a level 50 friend and get the option to fight as a level 50 when you are with him. Granted, you're a level 50 with a weaker ship, fewer equipment and lacking in level 50 skills, but your phasers will still pound foes as level 50 weapons and your shields will still absorb hits as if its a level 50 shield.