View Single Post
Old January 25 2012, 05:27 PM   #149
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

16. My Sister's Keeper: (✩✩✩✩) Starring Cameron Diaz. This one is about a family who has to cope with one of their children who's dying of cancer and another one who wants medical emancipation at the age of 11 because she doesn't want to be a guinea pig anymore. The lawyer she seeks out is played by Alec Baldwin. It's a good movie that bounces around to different points in their lives. I like that it's not sappy. The characters have ups, downs and mundane moments in between, like people in real life would.

17. Valkyrie: (✩✩✩) Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise with an eye patch, out to kill Hitler. Good engaging movie with Tom Cruise cruisin' as only Tom could.

18. The Anderson Tapes: (✩✩✩) 1971 movie starring Sean Connery. He plays Anderson, a man who gets out of prison and decides to assemble a team in order to rob a high class apartment complex in New York. The movie's title comes from the fact that everything Anderson does, from initial planning to the actual heist is being recorded and observed by various agencies. This movie is supposed to be a commentary on surveilance. I thought it was alright. The movie also features a young Christopher Walken, who I didn't recognize at first.

19. Jack Goes Boating: (✩✩✩) Directed by and starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman plays Jack, a shy guy who's set up on a date and prepares by taking cooking classes so he can cook the meal, and swimming lessons in preparation for a boating trip come summer. On the side are Jack's two friends, a couple who are having problems of their own just as his relationship is budding. I found it to be an average but enjoyable movie.

20. Margin Call: (✩✩✩) In 2008, on the eve of the financial crisis, traders and higher-ups at a firm in New York discover that their company is about to collapse. They take measures to mitigate the disaster any way they can even if it means dumping their problems onto unsuspecting investors. This one features an all-star cast that includes Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Demi Moore, Zachary Quinto, Jerrey Irons, Mary McDonnell, Simon Baker and Stanley Tucci. The movie was engaging, but not too intense.

21. Away We Go: (✩✩✩) A couple with a baby on the way travel to various cities trying to decide where to settle down. Their various stops invlove meeting with old friends and family who are an interesting mix of people. Good movie.

22. Superman & Batman: Apocalypse: (✩✩✩✩) Another take on Kara Zor-El's arrival on Earth and journey to become Supergirl. Although this is titled "Superman & Batman", it features Wonder Woman to round out the big three. Like a lot of animated movies, this one is well done. Two issues though... 1) Kara adapted to life as a young American girl a little too easily with her shopping and the eating of a hotdog, and 2) They had the Kent farm attacked before we found out what happened to Martha and Jonathan and I found that distracting.

23. Pandorum: (✩✩) Alien-like movie about a crew who wakes up from suspended animation and has to fight off creatures in a dark and dingy ship. The movie is dull, but it really picks up after about an hour and has a pretty good ending. There were some good ideas here but they were poorly exectuted.

At the Theatre: 0
On DVD/Blu-Ray: 6
On TV: 15
On Demand: 2
Off the Internet: 0
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote