View Single Post
Old January 25 2012, 06:46 AM   #24
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Ferengi Corporations

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Yevetha wrote: View Post
I think a ferengi megacorp is impossibel unless the workers are from offworld. Ferengi lack the discipline to keep a megacorp together.
And that's why they don't work as serious villains. If the Fererngi Alliance was supposed to be a commentary about a nightmarish version of capitalism that has gone out control, having the Ferengi have so little impulse control they could never form a megacorp doesn't work. It renders them silly rather then scary and fails both political commentary and presenting menacing villains.
I like them better this way. They were quite diverse from arms dealers to simple folks. As a villain they would probably have been a whole lot less diverse. I like the idea of a society where everyone is so out for their own profit that mega corporations don't work out due to in fighting and back stabbing.. so they do business without that level of cooperation. Their alliances are short lived it seems, for the profit of the moment. It works for them and fits their driving purpose in life.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote