View Single Post
Old January 24 2012, 08:45 PM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: 2012 Academy Award Nominations

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Which also means 3-D vs. Silent Movies. That alone makes this worth following.
Hugo is itself a big tribute to silent films (the work of Georges Melies) and technical innovations (the ones Melies did/3D).
23skidoo wrote: View Post
Disruptor wrote: View Post
No CARS 2 for best animated film? Pixar loses this year.
Even bigger surprise is TinTin got snubbed despite winning some other awards. Another nail in the coffin for photo-real CG in movies?
The Academy's animation branch has always been clear that they don't think motion-capture is animation.
CNN just listed Harry Potter as one of the more notable snubs. But unfortunately it was predicted that splitting DH into two might have sacrificed as potential Best Picture nomination since part 2 was just that - it wasn't a complete movie. Granted, Return of the King was Part 3 of a trilogy too. But at the same time it was also a standalone of sorts. DH2 literally could not be watched nor understood without Part 1.
The comparison to LOTR never made sense, because those movies got nominated all the way through. The HP films never went higher than a nomination for Best Cinematography.
Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
I thought Tree of Life was supposed to have sucked?
Er, no, it's arguably the most critically acclaimed film of the year (I didn't think it was nearly that good, but it's certainly not thought to be bad).
Ditto with Extremely Loud.
That's an extremely divisive movie; people either love it or hate it, and a lot of people hated it.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote