View Single Post
Old January 20 2012, 10:15 PM   #703
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
Also the stories for "In the Pale Moonlight" and "The Dogs of War".
But he gets no points for those because of my arbitrary rules on who gets points for which episode.

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
But.... but.... but.... I was all set to review the next Golden Girls episode - Break-In.

Just kidding, I'll save that for the next time there's a lull in the re-watch.
Can you at least review 80s sitcoms that I've watched, like Cheers or... hmm, it appears that I've only seen Cheers.

Ln X wrote: View Post
Yay! Your back TheGodBen! What made you change your mind on protesting about SOPA?
Well, SOPA's gone now, isn't it? Me stopping this thread was clearly the straw that broke the camel's back. My review threads are very popular among members of the American congress.

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Your ratings are really harsh.
Sometimes I fear they're not harsh enough. I worry that crazed Voyager fans will show up one day and accuse me of the dreaded double standard.

The Search, Part 1 (***)

There's lots of new additions to DS9 in this episode; the Defiant, the wardroom, Eddington, Odo's belt, and a couple of other things. But here's a thing, all of those are introduced within the first 10 minutes or so, leaving the rest of the episode to feel a bit pedestrian. This episode is like the aftermath of Christmas, by which I mean you get lots of cool new things to play with, but then you enter into January and you still have the cool things but they're not exciting or new anymore. Does that analogy make any sense? Probably not, but I'm a bit rusty and that's the best I could do.

The introduction of the Defiant is a bit disappointing. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Defiant as much as a man can love a fictional kickass warship, but right now it only has two sets and both of them are a step down from the other permanent sets on the show. Ops and the promenade have a grandeur about them, they're bustling hubs of activity with multiple levels and intriguing alien architecture. The two sets seen in this episode, the bridge and the crew quarters, are both compact and flat. I understand that that's the way it should be what with the Defiant being a scaled-back warship with little to no creature comforts, but it's still a little boring going from such interesting sets to such basic ones. It doesn't help that the Defiant gets the crap beaten out of it at the end of the episode, the first of many times that's going to happen.

There's a sub-plot about Odo and how he's considering resigning because Starfleet is trying to force him out. This is actually a nice little nod back to the end of season two and the Maquis-related security breaches such as the kidnapping of Gul Dukat. Well, that's the way I choose to see it at any rate. This sub-plot is a little too convenient given how Odo is about to find his homeworld, but it works well enough. It's a bit weird that Odo suddenly has an urge to go to the Omarion nebula considering he's been in the GQ a few times and never had that urge before, but I suppose it's possible that he never saw it on a map during those previous trips and that triggered something in his magical Changeling DNA.

So, a strong start to this episode but the rest of it is pretty average.