View Single Post
Old January 20 2012, 07:03 PM   #796
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: "James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Sigh, just for once I'd like it is a Bond girl didn't say "I'm a new kind of Bond girl, more 007's equal" in her interviews...face it, love, you're there to look pretty, probably shag 007 and possibly die a horrible death...
Yeah I have to agree that line is really old. If one actually watches the Bond movies, the whole "more 007's equal" thing actually dates back damn near to day one. Pussy Galore, Tracey, Anya, Holly Goodhead (that's two high-ranking female 00-equivalents in a row), Melina Havelock (who actually beats Bond to an assassination), Octopussy, Pam Bouvier (another spy), Michelle Yeoh's character in Tomorrow Never Dies, and (like her or hate her) Jinx. I'd include Vesper too, though more in the verbal side of things since her character isn't depicted as a killer.

So, really, the stereotype was busted ages ago (heck, a case can even be made for Honey Ryder). And was destroyed forever when M became a woman.
Amen. Much as the feminists like to whine about how "demeaning" the Bond girls are...in reality, Bond girls are as a rule pretty darn empowered. And have been, since Dr. No. And it's not just Honey. Sylvia Trench (the girl who plays baccarat in the legendary "Bond--James Bond" scene) was confident, and highly capable (she somehow managed to get into Bond's apartment!).

As it stands, I'm reminded of the commercial where the voice of M asks Daniel Craig's Bond, "Are we equals, 007?" etc.

Frankly, I'd have had, after the camera pulls into a close-up, and M asks the question again, "Are we equals, 007?"...Bond replies, "No, Ma'am. You're my boss...."

Now what I would like to see is for them to put their cards on the table and pair 007 up with 008 and make 008 a woman, perhaps a more experienced 00, maybe even older than Bond. Basically think M but 20 years younger. Now THAT would break the mould and give us a Bond "girl" equal to 007.

Alex
Hmm...but still attractive, of course?

Someone give a good look to, say, Nicole de Boer....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote