View Single Post
Old January 19 2012, 05:53 AM   #134
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I wrapped up Rough Beasts of Empire this morning before work. You know how annoying it is to be 30 or so pages from the end of a book and be simply unable to keep your eyes open long enough to finish?!?! Yeah, you guys are all readers. You've been there.

So, I have a few things to say about this one. I'm going to spoiler tag it though, because even though this has been out over a year now, I know some of you in this thread are just now getting caught up like me. But first, most of what bothered me about this book was a result of the decision to jump the DS9 characters forward in the continuity. And of course, that's not just an issue here, but has been an element of all the Typhon Pact books. However, it was in this story that the frustration really began to bother me and pull me out of enjoying the book. All the painful and weighty events that have brought these characters that I love to the point of their actions in this book are empty holes in my brain. I really could have wished that one or more of the Myriad and Mirror trades could have instead been devoted to bringing DS9 forward in a less jarring way. Knowing intellectually that these characters have had all this time to change and grow (or regress in some cases) doesn't help me accept it on an emotional level. There's nothing that happens that couldn't have logically grown from each character's arc where it left off, but being dropped into it with only the occasional oblique reference to how they got there - again, "jarring" is the most apt descriptor I can come up with.

I know that was mostly negative, and I'm truly sorry for that. It's really not about the writing, or even so much about the specific story. My dissatisfaction is primarily an outgrowth of my frustration over that huge gap in time. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the chronology and all these characters and events without being intentionally left in the dark.

C'est la vie. On to Paths of Disharmony.
Sakrysta is offline   Reply With Quote