View Single Post
Old January 19 2012, 12:02 AM   #26
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: What are your current computer's specs?

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
Tonight I purchased a new computer to replace my slowly dying 9 year old desktop and I find myself curious to see what the rest of you are using to get to the BBS.

My current (old) PC:

P4 2.4 GHz processor
1.8 GB PC 2700 DDR Ram
150 GB hard drive
256 meg ATI Radeon AGP graphics card
52x CDRW drive
28x CD-rom drive
Hey, that's still a lot better than what I have been using the last couple of years. What's wrong with it?

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
As this is my first laptop, I was also wondering:

Should I buy a travel case for it?
Is there anything I should be leery of/careful with?
As it is a desktop replacement, should I look into getting a docking station for it? If so, how much do these run?
Should I get a cooling pad for it?
I've been using my laptop (a 5 year old HP Compaq) as a desktop for years before I got a new desktop computer last November and I didn't need a cooling pad or a docking station (I'm not even sure what that is). If your computer gets too hot it either needs cleaning or is defective (even if it gets too hot right from the start - I know that some laptops have those problems) and should be replaced.
One of the fans in my laptop broke and the thing got so hot the plastic case started to smell funny, yet nothing was damaged. These things are pretty sturdy.
If you use it as a desktop and have it plugged in you should remove the battery (before plugging it in) because eventually this will cause the battery life to deteriorate (that happened with mine).
If you want to carry it around, a travel case comes in handy, though other bags in the right size are fine, too. My backpack has an extra pocket for laptops so that's an option, too. It really depends on your habits.

As for my system (it's a Mini ITX system):
Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz × 4
Intel HD 2000 graphics chip
4 GB DDR-Ram
HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500 GB
all in a fancy red Lian Li case

screen: LG flatron W2443T 24''