View Single Post
Old January 18 2012, 03:39 PM   #128
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

Re: OTHER Starship Captains - Symbolism, Foreshadowing & Plot Devices

Captain Tracy wrote: View Post
The problem is one of the duty of a StarFleet officer, acting in that capacity and charged with upholding and executing those duties,... and that of being a 'Federally funded humanitarian with transportation',.. which when it comes down to the business of enforcing Farederation Law and StarFleet directives,... he is not.

So when acting as an deputized officer of 'The Powers-That-Be', there is no latitude for personal feelings, opinion, politics, vendettas, or what-have-you; expeically when in direct communication with Higher Authority.

Again, in this case, the Captain is not afforded the power of judgement,... or 'creative alternative solutions',... only delivery for processing,.. with 'The 'Right To Petition', being executed AFTER delivery and the fufillment of lawful military orders.
I don't agree 100% - I think in Trekverse, especially in TOS time, Captains would have a lot more leeway in things of this nature. However, I will say "uncle". Your move, Ron.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"