View Single Post
Old January 16 2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: The "Shatnerverse" what do you all think-recommend or no

I loved the Shatnerverse. I feel that, like many other Trek novels, it is totally fanwanky, but, unlike many other Trek novels, it fully realizes this, embraces it, and is completely unapologetic about it. Because of that, the novels are very fun.

As others have said, Ashes of Eden and The Return are probably the strongest. The MU trilogy is pretty solid, though the ending to that is a little "off" (my theory is that Shatner's personal life really affected not only the events in the book, but how they were written). The Totality trilogy had a weak structure, and suffers from it. Particularly in the first book where there were two alternating plots, one during the 5-Year-Mission (which ties into the overall trilogy) and another with a completely unrelated Picard/Kirk adventure.

Collision Course
, I really enjoyed. Much more character driven than the others, in my opinion. I am disappointed that the follow-up, Trial Run, will likely never see print.