View Single Post
Old January 14 2012, 02:36 AM   #80
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

^ I don't see any reason why they'd change the Epilogue. Fantine and then Eponine coming to sing Valjean into heaven and join the chorus of the rest of the cast that have all died is pretty much the climax of the show, and could easily translate to film.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Really, isn't Swift's "You Belong with Me" the country-pop equivalent of "On My Own"?
Well, except that it's light, poppy and optimistic, not show-stoppingly dramatic, desperate, and ultimately accepting of fate.

Daniel Radcliffe should play Grantaire, just for the hell of it.
"Give me butterbeer on my breath, and I'll breathe them all to death!"

Agreed that "Dog Eat Dog" is the more sinister piece. It's also a different tune, whereas "Beggars at the Feast" is basically a reprise of "Master of the House."

But from a pacing point of view, "Dog Eat Dog" is more vulnerable. By that point, you don't care about the Thenardiers. You want to keep the focus on the core 4-- Valjean, Javert, Cosette, & Marius. On the other hand, by the time you get to "Beggars at the Feast," it's a welcome return by a pair of beloved characters.
Well, but then again Dog Eat Dog is plot critical - Thenardier taking the ring from Marius' "dead" body and recognizing Valjean before he runs off, whereas Beggars at the Feast really isn't (it's plot points are dealt with before Marius punches out Thenardier).