View Single Post
Old January 12 2012, 10:53 PM   #439
tighr
Commodore

Re: Does It Get Better???

Harvey wrote: View Post
Deep-Space missions are supposed to last for years (Kirk's was 5 years) away from home and out of touch with Mission Control.
What's this based on again? As I indicated elsewhere in the forum, that was never the intention of the original Star Trek. That was the intention of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but the premise was abandoned early in the first season, after barely being mentioned.
The original Star Trek was indeed a 5 year mission. This is canon from the opening theme, which we should all know by heart:

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
The USS Voyager, Intrepid-Class is intended as a strategic, mission-specific vessel. It was never intended to be on a 5 year mission like the Enterprise, so it was noteworthy for completing a 7 year mission without any contact with Starfleet or refueling at Starbases. There is one episode, I can't recall which, where B'Elanna convinces Janeway to land on a planet for extensive overhaul.

Whether or not this is realistic, I don't really think so. The things that bug me about the show was the 17+ shuttlecraft they lose, the 100's of torpedoes they launch, the fact that nearly NOBODY dies during the course of the show, and numerous other deus ex machina type situations she finagled her way out of. But, I digress. I think I mentioned most of this several pages back anyway.