View Single Post
Old January 12 2012, 05:28 PM   #3033
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Problem with Enterprise was that it pretty much made up its own reasons to break continuity just for the sake of it, to not be restrained by what is "supposed to happen." The same problems occur with ST09.

I guess in my mind that's like saying you want to write a story set in a pre-World War II era, be about things that lead up to war but don't want to worry about facts or reality and just do your own thing.

Enterprise used the Temporal Cold War thing to get around with mucking up the "past." I can forgive things like the Ferengi or the Borg episode where the name of the aliens is never known, or the aliens are there due to a future incursion on the timeline (the Borg, and First Contact.)

But there was so much interesting stuff already to explore in the pre-Kirk era Trek universe they didn't need to invent the "temporal cold war" or the BS with the Xindi or anything else. There was already plenty to do, they just didn't want their writing to be restricted.

And isn't that what creates creative writing? Being limited by what you can and cannot do?

ST09 did the same thing. There's no reason to make that universe different than the established one, there's already a lot we do not know about what happened in the TOS era, how the crew got together and all of that. So why make up this bullshit about changing the timeline, killing Kirk's dad, destroying Vulcan and all of that? Oh, because you don't want to be restrained by continuity?

Horseshit.