View Single Post
Old January 6 2012, 10:36 AM   #142
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander

View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Killandra wrote: View Post
They should have let TNG go and let DS9 or Voyager take over the movie reigns or just not made a movie at all. I know that's a hard pill to swallow for TNG fans, but TNG had it's time in the sun and it was well past the time to pass the movie torch as well...
Ummm, the TV ratings for TNG in first-run syndication were stupendous (as were TOS in prime time syndicated repeat), and that in-built audience, plus the general public, was attracted to see TOS and TNG movies on the big screen.

Audiences for DS9 and VOY and ENT (the last two on a fledgling TV network that wasn't even broadcasting to some parts of the USA) got smaller and smaller and smaller. None of those series were viable properties for the big screen.
DS9 and Voyager didn't carry like TNG, agreed, but that aside, the TNG movies kept selling worse and worse with the exception of First Contact. I stand by the statement, Nemesis should have not been made. Either no movie at all (perhaps the preferable alternative) or moved on with another Trek to cover in the box office. Nemesis hurt more than helped TNG in my mind.

Link to box office sales data: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/StarTrek.php