View Single Post
Old January 5 2012, 11:08 AM   #128
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander

View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

With Data, however, you don't seem to get the hero worship / role model thing that Janeway (inexplicably to me) appears to generate in her fans. Data was a great character that I miss. I suspect most fans feel similarly, but that's it.

Janeway (and yes, my opinion is coloured by my dislike of Kate Mulgrew as an actor) was badly written,
inconsistent and annoying. I cannot deny that something about her connected with her following, but it almost seems like a mother / sister / mentor relationship her fans project onto the character.
For a large number of Janeway fans being female, by and large it's simply the appeal of a strong, independent, female leader, which in Trek or any other fictional realm or in reality even today are few and far between. These type of role models show young girls a positive influence and that they can achieve great things. Janeway as with other heroes, became a beacon of different things to different people.

It can't be denied that Kate Mulgrew was a path setter by portraying Janeway. She opened many doors for other women in sci fi. I also believe her fans loyalty comes from how she interacts with them and how approachable she is. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum where I just don't understand how someone could not like her, lol. To each their own.

For males, their pools of heroes are far larger to draw from. I love Data and hate the idea of him being gone as well. Males and females love him alike, but not usually in a hero type sentiment. It doesn't mean he's loved any less, just fans see him in a different light.

I will agree, Data is more popular than Janeway overall, which isn't a big shock being TNG is also the most popular Trek, but of course I think his popularity transcends that fact alone. Data is a character many fans could emotionally connect to and empathize with.

But, I don't believe there needs to be a debate or contest on who should be allowed to return or other popularity contest. Simply put: neither should have died.