View Single Post
Old January 4 2012, 06:30 PM   #123
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

FordSVT wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
A lot of my favorite characters have been killed off in TV shows and books before. It's sad when that happens, but that's not what's important. What's important is how the series carries on without them, that the series acknowledges their death and that the surviving characters respond accordingly. Characters, especially in literature, don't get killed off arbitrarily. It's not like they killed her because Kate Mulgrew was unavailable to play the part, and I very much doubt they killed her because they just didn't like her very much.
Jesus, they killed off DATA and replaced him with a retarded cousin, where's the fucking petition for that one? I don't think Janeway fans would want to run a poll to see which of the two should be "resurrected" first by TPTB.
Quite !

With Data, however, you don't seem to get the hero worship / role model thing that Janeway (inexplicably to me) appears to generate in her fans. Data was a great character that I miss. I suspect most fans feel similarly, but that's it.

Janeway (and yes, my opinion is coloured by my dislike of Kate Mulgrew as an actor) was badly written, inconsistent and annoying. I cannot deny that something about her connected with her following, but it almost seems like a mother / sister / mentor relationship her fans project onto the character.