View Single Post
Old January 4 2012, 08:11 AM   #120
Killandra
Lieutenant Commander

View Killandra's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Killandra Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Killandra Send a message via Yahoo to Killandra
Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

I can see your point here but I don't see the correlation between it and the proposed petition in which this thread was created for. Many shows, books, etc. have lost characters where fans loved so much that they made campaigns of some sort or another to try to get that character returned in the past. Some have worked, the majority have not, but no one knows what will happen until they try. Now, some of the statements in this thread may be carry some of the emotional sentiment similar to the examples stated, but the petition itself does not, so I signed it.

Being passionate about a show or character I don't think is wrong. I see no difference in fans petitioning for a character to return than fans arguing over whose the better captain, quoting lines from their favorite episodes, learning Klingon, or calculating the number of drones on a Borg cube. It's all relative. It's the passion that Trek fandom shares that makes our community so great.

However, I also agree, it does warrant concern if someone shows aspects of not distinguishing fantasy from reality. I think we can all say we've seen some scary stuff and people out there. (I personally am perturbed with the website out there that compares Borg actions and quotes with Biblical scripture). But, at the end of the day to each their own. I don't pay their bills, put clothes on their backs, or food in their stomachs, so who am I to say anything?

I can understand an actor being perturbed over the above supermarket scenario as well. I think most of us would have similar reactions. On the plus side, however, the actor did their job very well. If the actor can capture our imaginations for their time on screen and make us believe they are who they claim to portray, their experiences, etc.- then they've done their job. It is the fan's job to remember that it is a fantasy though.

Janeway though fictional, was a childhood hero of mine as well and to make a long story short, I simply lived in a predicament as a child where there really wasn't real life role models to inspire me or look up to. I knew even then Janeway wasn't "real", but that did not lessen the impact of what character had on my younger mind. (And personally, I'd rather a child have a fictional hero over the neighborhood drug dealer...)

Instead of the heated words, can't we all just agree to disagree and celebrate Trek?