View Single Post
Old January 3 2012, 02:23 AM   #110
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Lynx wrote: View Post
Yes, but I see no reason to tie her up behind a desk and use that as a reason for dumping the character. As I wrote before, they could have demoted her (which I might do in an upcoming fanfiction story, I'm getting tired of that admiral thing) or simply made her the same kind of admiral as Kirk was in the movies.
Christopher can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that we've ever seen a 24th Century Admiral given their own personal 'flagship' to command the way that Kirk was.

I also don't believe we've ever seen an instance where a ST author or editor blatantly ignored what was established by canon. They may have decided to 'undo' canon, but that's not the same thing as blatantly ignoring canon, which seems to be what you want Christie Golden to have done.

It might be the fact that I'm simply a different kind of fan with different opinions than you but I must admit that I find it hard to understand how someone can be a fan of a character and then so easily accept that this character is killed off, wiped out or whatever.
'Finding it hard to understand how someone can be a fan of a character and then so easily accept that this character is killed off, wiped out or whatever' effectively translates to 'I find it hard to understand how someone can be a fan of a character and not be in 'lockstep' with my view of how I think a fan of said character ought to behave'.

However, what you can't seem to understand is that you don't get to set predetermined conditions concerning how fans of a particular character or thing should express/conduct themselves vis a vis their enjoyment of said character/thing.