View Single Post
Old January 3 2012, 01:40 AM   #238
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

sf/f TV development news - 2012

It's still officially the New Year's holiday, but the news is already rolling in, and it's off to an auspicious start!

Two really hot looking guys cast in NBC's Beautiful People.

James Murray (Chaos) and Patrick Heusinger (Royal Pains) are set to co-star in the NBC drama pilot Beautiful People. The project, written by Michael McDonald, is set in the near future in a society where humans co-exist with mechanical androids that look like people but are treated like second-class citizens. It centers on the very wealthy Lydia whose late husband founded the firm that makes Mechanicals. Murray will play her son, a handsome and very successful attorney who’s lived a rich and privileged life but makes a name for himself by publicly suggesting that Mechanicals might have civil rights — a notion that’s largely scoffed at. Heusinger will play a family man employed as a servant in Lydia’s home who is in fact a Mechanical, but after one of his daughters is killed in a car accident, he proves to be “defective” as he’s plagued with forbidden emotions like grief and loss.
Okay it sounds corny but sort of interesting. Very reminiscent of Caprica in some ways. A broadcast-friendly Caprica - more formulaic, less complicated, more direct - could be worth watching.

I saw Murray in Chaos - he was good as a snarky Scot. Don't know about the other guy, but he has the right look for the "soulful Data role."

I'm a little confused by the description - do the androids have the ability to have offspring in some natural way a la BSG, or does the android factory assign them android babies or what?

Since this is the time of year when news like this starts rolling in, I'll keep this going as an ongoing thread.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote