View Single Post
Old January 2 2012, 06:15 AM   #372
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Shurik wrote: View Post
Small chance of that, since he got the most recognition for ADWD. TIME magazine listed ADWD as the book of the year and he got named Author of the Year by USA TODAY.
I dare to say that the actual quality of the book had nothing to do with those decisions. It was because the HBO series are very popular and because the hype and the anticipation for this book were enormous. So expect another 1000 pages with nothing happening in half of them ...
+1

Sort of.

The first three books were great and he deserves a lot of credit for them, the last two no so much, and in my opinion he deserves to be called out on it.

So, I agree that the awards he got this year are a result of the popularity of the TV series that was released this year and not a result of the book we got this year.

But I think we can consider the awards as being for the entirety of his work on ASOIF.

Which is deserved.

Assuming he does manage to finish the story, because if he doesn't then the great start it was off to will mean the let-down is just that much worse.

* I guess "this year" should now read "last year", seeing as we're into 2012 now.