View Single Post
Old January 1 2012, 07:51 PM   #68
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (ebook) review thread

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
I got a shiny new tablet for Christmas so I finally have a decent way to read e-books. This is one of the first things I picked up. I thought it was pretty great.
Thanks!

That said, the Kinshaya story is the clear standout here. It was really cool to go behind the "Iron Curtain" and get a look at what the Pact is doing to the civilizations involved. It didn't hurt that Trys was in there heavily. She's one of the very few novel-only characters that seems to pop enough on a regular basis that I don't get her confused with the rest of them.
As T'Ryssa's creator, I'm glad to hear that.

My second beef is with Picard's characterization. I get that he's a family man now and Beverly's extraordinarily important to him. But the story tries to score points on Picard's willingness to be reckless on that count, even though I don't buy that he'd be that blinded by familial attachment. In many ways, Picard's the ethical centre of the whole franchise. If you can count on anyone to be dispassionate in the face of doing the right thing, Jean-Luc's your guy. I guess you could believably take him to a place where he'd make the choice he makes here, but I'm not sure a story this compact is the place to do it.
I actually felt the same way at first, and my outline had Picard arguing with a Starfleet Admiral who was pushing for intervention while Picard urged caution. But my editor convinced me it would be a better character beat if Picard were the one tempted to rash action by his familial attachments. The thing is, parenthood can change a person. Yes, the Picard we've known in the series and movies would be that dispassionate as a rule, but that Picard wasn't a husband and father. In fact, we have seen that Picard is capable of irrational excess when it comes to something that affects him powerfully and deeply -- see "I, Borg" and First Contact. Sometimes even he loses perspective and needs others to pull him back.

And I stand by Worf's assessment in the story -- however tempted Picard might be to let his passions guide him, the very fact that he was aware of that impulse and skeptical of it proved that he was still a man who could be trusted to make the right choice.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote