View Single Post
Old January 1 2012, 04:22 AM   #389
bfollowell
Commander

Re: Before Dishonour....seriously?!

Well, I did it. I just finished Before Dishonor. I have to say, I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I mean, for more than a year now, ever since joining this forum, every so often I've read some new set of posts going on and on about how this is the worst TrekLit ever written and how the killing off of Janeway is the worst crime known to man.

I have to say, I just don't get it. I mean, it is far from the best TrekLit I've ever read. It's far from the best Peter David novel I've ever read. It's far from the worst of either also. Yes, it has some of Peter's typical quirkiness; big deal. Yes, he killed of Janeway and I don't see why it was necessary, but then again, I rarely see why the death of any character is absolutely necessary. It's just a plot element and I don't tell the author's how to do their jobs.

I guess, after all the negative hype I've been reading for the past year, this novel was really anti-climatic. Yes, Janeway's dead, or not dead, depending on how you choose to look at it. I guess that's a bad thing if you're a huge Janeway fan. Personally, I liked her in the show but, the way she was being written into the relaunch novels, well, I just found her annoying and won't miss her at all.

OK, now it's time to move on. I'm only two books away from Destiny and I don't have time to worry about Janeway's fate or how supposedly bad this novel was.

Happy New Year to everyone. Make sure to read plenty in the the new year, TrekLit or otherwise.

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; January 1 2012 at 01:22 PM.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote