View Single Post
Old December 28 2011, 11:00 PM   #152
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: Fan Filmmaker's Primer

VulcanLoveSlave wrote: View Post
I haven't finished reading the thread yet, and so far you guys are giving out good beginner advice. I just wanted to add a couple tips if that's cool
Always. This is a forum, not a lecture, after all.

VulcanLoveSlave wrote:
Maurice Navidad wrote: View Post
...Canon Digital SLRs...
For the price you can't beat 'em. And Canon does have the market cornered. But, while technically not DSLRs, the GH1 and GH2 have been producing amazing results, and have a lot more filmmaker friendly options when hacked. I usually rent but if I were going to buy a rig for under or around 2 grand, it would probably include the GH1/2.
I assume you mean the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 & GH2.

VulcanLoveSlave wrote:
Don't forget the type of mic. As a general rule of thumb, you're going to want a cardioid condensor mic for indoors and a shotgun mic for outdoors. A shotgun indoors is one of the things that will give you that horrible distorted roomy noise due to the narrow pickup pattern.
Yep.

VulcanLoveSlave wrote:
One of the nice things about digital vs. film is that the camera is still recording audio which you can then use as a scratch track to align the wave forms when you're editing. This means that you can get away without using a professional clapper board and just have someone clap their hands on screen.
Sure, but if lining up with the camera sound doesn't work for some reason, then you've got nothing to sync with if you don't have a visual clap. (To further complicate matters, I've noticed that the sound of the slate clap almost never actually occurs on the same frame as the image of the slate closing. Why this is I don't know, but when step through the footage I find the sound happens a few frames before.)

The slate is also important because it also holds the reel/card #, the shot # and the take, and if the files get renamed or there's some other problem, you can always look at the slate.

VulcanLoveSlave wrote:
For better results, pleat the sound blankets when you hang them. It means a lot more blankets but it absorbs significantly more sound.
Yep again.

VulcanLoveSlave wrote:
Yep. Leave camera directions and other production notes for the shooting script.
I'm a tad confused by this comment because we were discussing not having excessive detail in the script, period. You DON'T want to put excess detail into a shooting script.

VulcanLoveSlave wrote:
BolianAuthor wrote: View Post
One thing I would like to ask of the fanfilm producers who have done this before, is how do I go about setting up a website that can be capable of accepting PayPal donations towards our production and the like?...
Check out http://www.kickstarter.com
Also GoFundMe, which doesn't require you to reach your goal in order to get any the monies pledged.

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; December 29 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote