View Single Post
Old December 28 2011, 10:01 PM   #108
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Once More, With Feeling: my big Buffy/Angel canon rewatch/reread/r

Seven Swans a Swimming wrote: View Post
I think it's everlasting hysteria from The Prom. I was a gibbering wreck at the end of it.

Faith's arc is particularly compelling, and I love the 'The Wish' universe. The whole graduation arc at the end had me enthralled also. I suppose that Angel's purpose pretty much dwindles though, which is a shame after season two. However, he got his own series, so it was all good in the end.
I love Faith's arc and the Mayor (my favorite villain), but somehow that was the season I least connected with Buffy, and I usually relate to her, but even though I find the Buffy/Faith dynamic fascinating, I think I had a problem with the whole "Good Girl/Bad Girl" thing they were going for (they even had SMG wear more conservative clothes than in the first 2 seasons, while ED wore black leather and had dark lipstick... geez, could they add a few more stereotypes?). Buffy/Angel isn't that interesting as it was in season 2, and I'm not a fan of the Willow/Xander fling. A lot of the seasons seemed to be about preparing Angel and Cordy to leave for a spinoff. The Wish is a great episode though, that one, Earshot and the two-part finale are the best of the season.

The main arc is one of the best, but I normally don't put any of the episodes in my top 10 for the entire series... It's a very consistent season, it doesn't have any really bad episodes, but I don't think it hits as many highs, unlike season 2 which has a bunch of episodes that are in my top 10 or even top 5. Season 4 is the exact opposite of season 3 in that the main arc is the weakest of all seasons, but it has a few episodes that are among the best (Restless, Hush, Who Are You?).

We'll see how I feel about it this time. I used to think it was better than season 2 because of the consistency and lack of really cheesy MOW stuff, but the last time I rewatched a bunch of season 3 episodes (which was about a year ago) I was less impressed than before. On the other hand, I liked season 2 even better this time than before.

I think season 5 is the best. As to which one is my favorite, we'll talk about it when we get there. (You're free to guess.)

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote