View Single Post
Old December 28 2011, 10:01 PM   #108
Rear Admiral
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Once More, With Feeling: my big Buffy/Angel canon rewatch/reread/r

Seven Swans a Swimming wrote: View Post
I think it's everlasting hysteria from The Prom. I was a gibbering wreck at the end of it.

Faith's arc is particularly compelling, and I love the 'The Wish' universe. The whole graduation arc at the end had me enthralled also. I suppose that Angel's purpose pretty much dwindles though, which is a shame after season two. However, he got his own series, so it was all good in the end.
I love Faith's arc and the Mayor (my favorite villain), but somehow that was the season I least connected with Buffy, and I usually relate to her, but even though I find the Buffy/Faith dynamic fascinating, I think I had a problem with the whole "Good Girl/Bad Girl" thing they were going for (they even had SMG wear more conservative clothes than in the first 2 seasons, while ED wore black leather and had dark lipstick... geez, could they add a few more stereotypes?). Buffy/Angel isn't that interesting as it was in season 2, and I'm not a fan of the Willow/Xander fling. A lot of the seasons seemed to be about preparing Angel and Cordy to leave for a spinoff. The Wish is a great episode though, that one, Earshot and the two-part finale are the best of the season.

The main arc is one of the best, but I normally don't put any of the episodes in my top 10 for the entire series... It's a very consistent season, it doesn't have any really bad episodes, but I don't think it hits as many highs, unlike season 2 which has a bunch of episodes that are in my top 10 or even top 5. Season 4 is the exact opposite of season 3 in that the main arc is the weakest of all seasons, but it has a few episodes that are among the best (Restless, Hush, Who Are You?).

We'll see how I feel about it this time. I used to think it was better than season 2 because of the consistency and lack of really cheesy MOW stuff, but the last time I rewatched a bunch of season 3 episodes (which was about a year ago) I was less impressed than before. On the other hand, I liked season 2 even better this time than before.

I think season 5 is the best. As to which one is my favorite, we'll talk about it when we get there. (You're free to guess.)
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote