View Single Post
Old December 27 2011, 11:59 PM   #37
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I finished The House of Silk yesterday. If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan, I highly recommend it. Certainly one of the better pastiches I've read, and it lives up to the only-being-published-now-because-of-the-scandal-it-would-cause conceit rather well if you understand the Victorian mindset. Funnily enough, that makes it something that Conan Doyle probably wouldn't write, but I was able to believe that it was Watson writing about the real Sherlock Holmes.

As some reviews have put it, there is a touch of melancholy about it, since Watson discusses Holmes' death (no spoilers, it happens after his retirement to the Downs) and you get the feeling this is the last time he will ever write about an adventure he and Holmes shared. A very good book, and none of the references to Canonical stories or characters feel too "cutesy" or forced.

I don't know what I'm reading next. I got 11/22/63 for Christmas, but I also have The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes on hold from the library. Along with a couple other options...