View Single Post
Old December 24 2011, 10:45 PM   #272
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Re: Before Dishonour....seriously?!

Killandra wrote: View Post
When I first learned about her death, I boycotted Before Dishonor and any book that fell after it. My fiance hasn't given in like I have and simply refuses to buy another Trek book period until Janeway returns.
I must admit that it's still a surprise to me (I am still fairly new to these boards) that Voyager has so many people that care about it so much.

I found it so poor in so many ways (summed up nicely for me by Ronald D. Moores incisive article at
http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm) with the proviso that I also found some of the cast problematic.

I disliked Janeway, Tuvok and Neelix from the outset and unlike DS9 when, for instance, Sisko and Odo really grew on me, only Neelix got any better.

As you can see, I am no fan of Janeway or Kate Mulgrews portrayal of her and Kirsten Beyers novels have in my opinion improved Voyager beyond all recognition.

Whilst accepting that we probably have radically different viewpoints as to the quality of the source material, the recent novels really are so good that your fiance is doing himself a disservice. If someone as anti-Voyager as me can be turned around, surely he could.

I haven't missed Janeway one jot (your fiance might) but to avoid Trek of this quality when obviously a fan seems, well, pointless.