View Single Post
Old December 23 2011, 06:07 AM   #377
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

trek_futurist wrote: View Post
snowman1701 wrote: View Post
So? Based on one of your previous posts, you and I are more or less the same age.... at most, a year's difference in one direction or the other. I started off on the previous stuff as well, and I enjoyed them. And I enjoyed this movie. The few friends I had of my age who also liked Star Trek all mostly enjoyed the new movie. I also had several friends get into Star Trek because of the new movie.
I am not the one bringing age into it, you are. The people who sit there talking about 'bringing trek to a new generation' for example.

very few of my friends find this film appealing or intellectually stimulating. And these are mostly within the age range of 18-25.

I have friends who are older than me, but they are generally not into star trek.

The point of this is that it is absurd to make all encompassing statements that the 'younger generation' will all just sit back and let this movie teethe them like babies who love bombast because its bright and colorful.
And another one of my points goes sailing right over your head.

You're making generalizations based on the fact that you and your posse didn't enjoy the new movie. Your encompassing statements are just as faulty if not more so, based on the the success of the movie, than everyone elses.

And really, the concept of introducing Star Trek to new people/ generations is accurate. Did you see how successful the new movie was? Do you really believe that the current group of Trekkies pulled that off (though, if they did, that would blow your original premise out of the water). I mean, Trekkies couldn't even get Nemesis up to $50M. How is the new Trek getting almost $258M is it wasn't getting lots and lots of new people interested?

Either your premise is faulty... or you and your friends are the last intelligent hope for a humanity that's about to stupid itself into extinction. Help us futurist, you're our only hope!

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama