View Single Post
Old December 22 2011, 09:56 AM   #68
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Fan Film Writer's Primer

Comet and Cupid wrote: View Post
**** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ABOUT STARSHIP INTREPID ****

My biggest issue with Heavy Lies the Crown and Transitions and Lamentations is that I would expect the Federation to reassess the colonization request after the first attack, before allowing colonization to proceed. In particular, I would expect the Federation to wish to determine first why the Surai are attacking, and whether they already have any legitimate claim to the Charybdis Sector...
Not to pick on this post, but it illustrates a common thing that happens when hardcore fans critique a story or try to wrote one: not focusing on the drama but on some aspect of the plot or setting that to any non-fan would just be background.

My problem with the episode is more fundamental. My take on it is the Problem is that Hunter must decide whether or not to accept promotion to a position he's not comfortable taking, which is all fine and good, and a valid Problem. The trouble is, the Complications in the story don't take off from the Inciting Incident that put Hunter in this position, and the plot event don't actually seem to make his decision harder. What in the ensuing situation makes drives Hunter to make the Decision he ends up making?
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote