View Single Post
Old December 21 2011, 10:34 PM   #249
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

^I think it's safe to say in this instance "not a prequel" means not a prequel in terms of plot and narrative. This is not the story of a crew that did the exact same thing as the crew of the Nostromo, only a few years prior, nor is it a tale of young Ripley struggling to be a single mum space trucker. It's a new story that takes place earlier in the timeline in the same continuity. The only possible link being that derelict, or perhaps just the race that built it. Actually, I think according to Scott, Blade Runner is also meant to take place in the same continuity.

Saul wrote: View Post
Ah, Alien yes but not as we know it. He said no Xenomorph. The Xenomorph might already have been a variation of another race if we ignore the PVsA films. So what we see here might be a pre pre version something we don't know is Alien at first.
IF we ignore Alien vs Predator? IF!?!!? You say that as if there could possibly be a sane alternative to ignoring them.

Anyway...From what I've always taken to be Ridley's take on things, the "xenomorphs" (a James Cameron invented moniker IIRC) were just bio-mechanical weapons and that derelict was a "battle wagon" for deploying them. I think he's even said that the space jockey isn't a life-form in and of itself but another purpose built bio-mechanoid, which probably means the race that created them are something else entierly.

In that recent interview he mentions 'Chariots of the Gods' which combined with that shot of a huge human looking (but still Giger-esq) face suggests that whatever these things were, they've been to Earth before and possibly had a hand in our own evolution. An old story yes, but then Scott is a big fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote