View Single Post
Old December 21 2011, 07:33 PM   #453
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

davejames wrote: View Post
Jinglebell JaRock wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm sure it will be (they've said it was), but these shots are mostly from Bag End in the Shire. I don't think there's anything east of Rivendell and the Misty Mountains in that trailer.
Well I wasn't just referring to locations, but the general look of the movie (cinematography, production design, direction, etc). I figured Jackson would want to differentiate it just a little from LOTR, instead of making it look like it was filmed at the exact same time as the other movies. But oh well.
The time isn't dramatically different. Most of these places in Middle Earth are timeless sort. Time is marked in ages more or less and this all took place within the same age. Sure it's 60 years (book timeline, the movie is a bit more ambiguous), but not much would change with styles and weapons. This isn't modern progress. Did things really look all that different in 1090 compared to 1030? How about between the death of Julius Caesar and the death of Augustus Caesar?

Of course, things regarding the Dark Lord moved swiftly during this time with regards to things like the fall of Minas Morgul, but that's not something that would affect the story. Either way, such political things aren't going to affect appearances.