View Single Post
Old December 21 2011, 05:50 PM   #444
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

23skidoo wrote: View Post
I still think they could have told this story perfectly with a single movie - having read the book numerous times I just don't think it works as a two-parter (especially with what appears to be a ton of added stuff that'll probably have Tolkienites screaming).
I dunno. This Tolkienite gasped when he saw Bilbo looking on the Shards of Narsil, and that sure as heck isn't in Tolkien's writings.

I think The Hobbit will work as a two-part film, and I have a pretty good idea of where the story will "break" (it has to be when they reach Laketown and see the Lonely Mountain because that's the natural midpoint in Bilbo's journey). I trust Jackson and Philippa Boyens. And I especially trust Guillermo del Toro, and seeing his name on the screenplay in the trailer the first time was more of a thrill for me than hearing Andy Serkis.

Ironically, it looks like Jackson has accomplished what Tolkien did not fully -- making The Hobbit part of the The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien's last unfinished revision of The Hobbit was in a Lord of the Rings style

23skidoo wrote: View Post
I'm a little concerned that Thorin is being made out to be more like Aragorn than Hans Conried (if you ever saw the animated version, you'd know) but I'm willing to see how it plays out.
Except that's how the character is in The Hobbit. Thorin is a king reclaiming his lost throne, so they're going to have similar story beats.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote