View Single Post
Old December 19 2011, 10:03 PM   #565
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
So, are you saying that you wouldn't take offense if you lived in Poland in 1938 and the government came to you and said "We've decided to give your home, your land and all your family's possessions to the Nazis so they won't invade us and you have no say in it. But don't worry, we're going to relocate you to somewhere else. And, if you resist, we'll help the Nazis hunt you down and throw you in prison."?
Wow, Godwin is spinning...

If they said, "Either you can move to a place that's at least as nice as where you're living now, and we'll cover all your expenses, and pay you a hefty fee for the inconvenience of you having to give up your home, or you can stay here with the understanding that you're no longer under our jurisdiction and we can't guarantee your safety, though we'll try? Oh and by the way, you're helping to avert a war and saving a whole lotta lives either way?"

Yeah, I think I could live with that.

The end of your quote is particularly facetious given that the settlers were (or should have been) allowed to continue living peacefully as long as they didn't mind being under Cardassian rule. While the normal settlers might have had to deal with some attacks (and let's not pretend this didn't occur on both sides), the Federation and Cardassians were not teaming up to attack people who just wanted to live in peace, they were teaming up to attack people who were actively engaging in terrorism and threatening a peace that was, at least in theory, saving many more lives.

It may not be reasonable to ask people to give up their homes for "the greater good", but how reasonable is it to demand that your country go to war with a foreign power that -will cost many lives- just because you won't give up your home?

And, since it always seems to get lost in the shuffle (no bias I'm sure...) I'll reiterate that it wasn't just Federation settlers who "lost" their planets.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote