View Single Post
Old December 19 2011, 04:54 PM   #34
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek TV Series To 3-D - CBS possible Conversion

Admiral Pike wrote: View Post
One of the advantages with 3D Star Trek is seeing interstellar vistas, spaceship battles, alien planets, and awesome aliens all in full-fledged 3D. Imo 3D doesn't really serve that much point for regular tv dramas or comedies. 3D has much more potential for films and series with exotic environments and creatures, like Scifi and fantasy. So in this regard I think 3D trek would definitely be interesting to watch, if nothing else then perhaps as a mini feature. Maybe something that ties in with the next trek movie.

Or, if live action 3D is too costly, then why not go all the way and make a full-fledged CGI Trek series in 3D?
I'd like to point out that interstellar vistas involve extraordinary distances and to be able to perceive anything on an interstellar scale in 3D in real life, you'd have to have a distance between your eyeballs measured in tens of astronomical units. Even the view of a starship hanging against a nebula should look pretty flat from a normal Star Trek shot since our stereoscopic vision doesn't work beyond about fifty feet ... if that. Any attempt to represent a 3D starship shot against an interstellar vista, while that sounds great, would actually make the ship look like a toy. Even ship-to-ship encounters like those seen in Wrath of Khan should look flat or they'll come out toylike.

Now that isn't to say that I disagree with the rest of your statements. Alien creatures and environments would work very well in 3D ... just look at the movie Avatar for an example.