View Single Post
Old December 19 2011, 04:47 PM   #558
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

The Maquis, Part 2 (****)

I suppose I should comment on the character of Cal Hudson. What a boring character. For a guy that decides to leave behind his whole life because he believes in a cause, he sure does seem disinterested in all the events that are going down. He's the least impassioned rebel I've seen on television. The only way I can explain his reasoning for joining the Maquis is that he was so distraught by his wife's death that he chose to run away from Starfleet, much like Sisko was considering doing in Emissary, and joining the Maquis was just his excuse. Even still, I find it hard to believe that this guy could have such passion for his wife that he would throw everything away out of grief. Just imagine him making love to his wife... "Oh yeah. Uh-huh. That's right. Keep going... Okay, I'm done. Goodnight dear."

But the bigger problem with Cal is that his whole arc feels artificial, especially his friendship with Sisko. Here's a guy that we never heard from before that was brought into the show to add a personal element to Sisko's dilemma and to help us see the Maquis' point of view. He's not really successful at either, and the fact that he's forgotten about until his death is referenced by another character years later makes his friendship with Sisko seem all the more artificial.

It's a good thing then that he's not in this episode much and most of it focuses on good things, such as interstellar politics and Gul Dukat. Once again, Dukat shines in this episode, he's working with the heroes because the alternatives are exile or execution. There's even something of a rapport developing between him and Sisko, and even a little begrudging respect seeps out of Kira. You've got the politicking Cardassians, Quark teaching logic to a Vulcan, some high-stakes action, this episode has a lot going for it. The ending, where Sisko fears that all he has done is delay an inevitable war is a little chilling. Sure, the war he's thinking of isn't exactly the war that happens later in the show, but the Maquis were one of the elements that drove the Cardassians into siding with the Dominion, so he's right in a roundabout way.

Sykonee's Counter: 13

Here's a fun experiment; type "admiral bitch" into Google and read the suggestions.